- Dress in black --> Goths are known to wear black clothes, but it's not a must. You can wear other colors. Some goths even mix black with neon colors.
- Pale yourself --> No, you don't have to have pale complexion to be called as goth. Not all of us having pale skin, and I'm sure some of you have no confidence to wear white foundation & layers of powder on your face. Skin bleaching isn't the only way, you should consider its safety.
- Dye & style your hair --> Actually there's no certain hairstyle for goth. Emo has distinctive hairstyles, but goth doesn't.
- Wear black lipstick & bold eyeliner --> Goths usually wear dark lipsticks. Not only black, but also red, maroon & plum. Pale lips are also nice when you wear black smokey eye makeup. Don't worry if you don't like wearing makeup, you can still be a goth.
- Listen to gothic music -->the genres are gothic rock, deathrock, darkwave, and horror punk. Some gothic bands are Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Bauhaus, Dead Can Dance, Christian Death, The Sisters of Mercy, Virgin Prunes, 45 Grave, Skeletal Family, Type O Negative, The Crüxshadows and Cinema Strange --> You can listen to your favorite music, not only gothic music.
listening to your favorite music doesn't mean you're not a goth
- Read gothic novels --> reading is a good hobby, but you don't have to read something you're not interested in.
Only you who really know what kind of goth you are. Being a goth is more than wearing black clothes and gothic makeup or listening to gothic rock. Don't force yourself to listen to something you don't like. Don't wear any striking gothic stuffs if you feel embarassed in it.
The key to be a goth is being yourself. You're a poser when you wear gothic stuffs & live like a goth only to draw attention.
Thanks for reading!